Wow! What a crazy story we have to tell. It's impossible to put into words the emotion that one feels from such an experience, so the following is more of a description or timeline than an attempt to convey what we went through. Paul has said several times that he is still trying to put his arms around the whole experience. The end result is what we had hoped for--whether it took place in our home or in a hospital. Our family has grown by one, and he is perfect and healthy. For that, we are eternally grateful. I guess I will start at the beginning and try not to make it too long because I know my family is dying for me to post this blog so they can see pictures of our amazing baby boy.
Well, I will start with Maggie's arrival in PA. She came on the 22nd--exactly a week before my due date on the 29th and I was so scared that I would go into labor before she got here. But, once she was here I was certain that I would be pregnant forever--going well over my due date yet again. I had an OB appointment on Tuesday the 25th and my doctor gave me the depressing news that nothing was happening with my cervix and that it looked like it would be a while before I went into labor--we even discussed induction dates so that I could have Sam and be out of the hospital before my parents arrived on the 9th of September.
So, we were going about life as usual, thinking that it would be a while before we had a new baby. I was just enjoying my two handsome guys and trying to get everything clean and organized and feeling so grateful that Maggie was there to keep me company and help out with Max...

On Thursday, the 27th, Maggie and I took Max over to a birthday party for one of the little girls in our playgroup. It was a hot and sunny day and we stood outside for a couple of hours watching the little ones play. Max had a great time, and on our way home we stopped at the grocery store. I felt completely fine (though maybe a bit sweaty from the rampant heat) throughout all of this.
We finally got home around 1:30 that afternoon and when we walked in the house I started feeling a little "crampy"--sort of like my pants were too uncomfortably tight. I changed into one of Paul's T-shirts and some loose shorts and went to play with Max for a few more minutes before his nap. I was still feeling crampy but not at all like I was having contractions and I thought that maybe I had just spent too much time standing in the hot sun. Maggie could see that I was uncomfortable and suggested that I call Paul since he works in the city and commutes via the train. I initially resisted, however, because I was certain that if Paul came all the way home from work that I definitely wouldn't be in labor and I would doom myself to two more weeks of being pregnant. Maggie was persistent (thankfully) and I ended up calling Paul, telling him that it was probably nothing, but maybe he better come home "just in case." Paul checked the train schedule and figured the next train would get him home around 3:30. He was also not very optimistic that this was the real deal. By this time it was about 2:00 and I decided to put Max down for a nap. My pain was still not at a point where I would consider myself having "contractions", but I was getting noticeably more uncomfortable. So, when Max fell asleep I decided to take a warm bath in our jetted tub.
At this point (around 2:30) I decided that I was most likely in labor. Although my contractions weren't that bad yet, there was a start and stop to them. I didn't time them, but I figured they were only 30 seconds or so long and irregularly spaced. My doctor had instructed me to call when my contractions lasted 60 seconds and were 2-5 minutes apart for an hour. By my calculations I was a long way from this. So, I stayed in the tub and practiced breathing through the pain. When Paul got home at 3:30 I was still in the tub. It had been an hour and my contractions were getting closer together, but they still weren't that bad or that long.
Max woke up about this time and I figured I had better get out of the tub and finish packing my hospital bag, knowing Max would be at my feet the rest of the time I spent at home. With a stopwatch around his neck, Paul timed my contractions while he threw a few things in his bag, took out the garbage, changed car seats around, and brought his dry cleaning in. In the meantime, I was trying to disguise my worsening pain from Max as I played with him while packing and breathing through contractions. At 4:00, only a half hour after Paul got home and barely 2 1/2 hours after my crampiness started, we estimated that my contractions were only 1-2 minutes apart and lasting 45-60 seconds. However, they still weren't that bad. I was in a lot of pain, but not the writhing, torturing, excruciating anguish that Max's labor had given me. We called my doctor who told us to head to the hospital. But, since it had only been 2 1/2 hours and because of the difference in labor pains from my first experience, I was just sure that they would examine me once I got there and tell me either to go back home, or that I could stay but I had hours and hours of labor ahead of me. At any rate, we were off to the hospital.
At around 4:10 I picked up Max one last time to give him a big goodbye hug before heading out the door and then "SPLAT!"--my water broke. I knew instantly that we weren't going anywhere as I immediately felt this overwhelming sensation to push. I'm not quite sure of the words I used, but something like, "This baby is coming right now!" I have no idea what Maggie and Paul's reactions were as I ran into the bathroom and fought off the first pushing contraction. I remember them telling me, "No it's not. Let's just get in the car right now and go to the hospital." I replied, "Only if you want this baby to be born in the car!" at which point I had another urge to push and couldn't hold back. I felt the baby crowning and immediately laid myself on the floor--half in the bathroom, half in the hallway. I think at this point Paul knew I was serious and yelled for Maggie to call 911. She had Max crying in her arms and didn't know our address or township so Paul grabbed the phone and Maggie took Max outside. Paul was able to get the ambulance dispatched, but as far as help with the delivery it seemed as though the operator was clueless. Dr. Paul definitely was on his own as far as the birth of this baby was concerned. At 4:20, after only two more pushes, Sam was born. It was very surreal. I had just birthed my baby in our hallway on the floor not even 3 hours after labor started. It seemed so easy. The baby wasn't crying but he was pinking up nicely, seemed alert and was moving around so I didn't get too concerned. He was sort of coughing, and Paul said so to the dispatcher who told us to suction him. Luckily, I knew where the bulb syringes were and Paul ran upstairs to get them and some towels to wrap and warm the baby in. I suctioned Sam the best I could, and told Paul to get the camera so we could snap some pictures of this exciting moment. By the time the paramedics arrived I was breastfeeding little Sam and I knew that we were lucky--everything was going to be alright. Now, if only I could get Paul to blog his side of this story it would put the stress and worry of these 10 minutes into perspective. I don't know whether it was Mother Nature or my ER nursing experience, but for some reason I didn't once panic. I somehow knew it would all be okay and I felt absolutely great afterwards.
They loaded Sam and I onto a stretcher and into the ambulance with Max in the background saying, "Mama, baby, truck!" Paul followed in a separate car and arrived moments after we did. All of the hospital staff were amazed at our incredible story and how perfect everything turned out. We finally got to weigh and measure Sam about 45 minutes after he was born--he weighed 7 lbs 4 oz and is 20 inches long.
Here are the photos Paul snapped (at my prodding) of Sam Harris Blane moments after he was born.
I didn't pay attention, but it doesn't look like our hallway was covered in that much blood. Notice the bulb syringe in my hand.

The closest towels Paul could grab were from the laundry room--the ones we typically use as rags. Fortunately, they had recently been cleaned in bleach.

Sam is such a handsome, sweet baby. I've included a lot of pictures because I know it will be a long time before most of my family get to meet this amazing little guy.

This picture is one of my favorites. He is just a couple of hours old yet he looks like a 3-month old deep in thought...









Paul and I were really missing Max. I couldn't wait to hug him and he seemed so happy to see us. It was so fun to introduce him to Sam. I was a little worried about what his reaction might be, but he was so sweet and excited to meet his new baby brother. The following pictures are their first introduction...





We are so grateful for Maggie. She stayed with Max while we were in the hospital--not an easy task. Thank you so much, Mimi--we couldn't have done it without you!

9 comments:
I just want to hold and kiss Sam. He is a beautiful baby. Can't wait until Paul tells the story! Love and miss all of you. Give Max a big hug .
WOW Ging, you look absolutely amazing! You sure don't look like you just gave birth in your hallway! I miss you guys so much, Sam is so perfect, You truly are blessed, your family is so beautiful. I am so happy for all of you. I hope Max is adjusting well, he is so cute. I wish we could see all of you soon, I hate that we all live so far away! Let me know if I can do anything for you. I love you!
GINGER!!!! I can't believe your story. I am so glad that you two are well. He'll have a story to tell! Obviously he couldn't wait to jump into your and Paul's arms! :) Congrats! We are so excited for you! CONGRATS!!!
I can't believe you had him at home and in the pictures you look so calm. He is so cute and I love all the hair he has. Congrats
What an amazing experince!! Looks like you handled it just fine. both Max and Sam are beautiful boys. Congratulations!! Julianne Johnson
I have been waiting to hear the story from your perspective and see pictures of Sam! You look so good after just giving birth on your floor! I loved reading your story. Sam looks just like a little man. He is darling!!! Max looks like he is so cute with him. Congratulations! Tell Dr. Paul to tell his side on your blog!
Congrats! What a story, you are amazing. Sam is adorable and Max looks so happy to have a baby brother.
Oh my gosh Ging!! What an amazing experience. I'm sure Paul was FREAKING OUT!!! haha I'm so happy for you guys! :)
Congrats!!!! He is so cute.
Post a Comment