Saturday, July 31, 2010

Bittersweet



Sam took five steps yesterday. On his own. And, although I was so proud of him, I just wanted to cry--what if this is my last baby? And where did all of the time go? I mean, two seconds ago I was birthing him on the floor in the bathroom and just yesterday he is walking. What?? Why does this precious time go by oh-so-fast? Why can't this wonderful stage just last forever--I think it is my favorite so far. He is so snuggly and gives the best kisses, and really is the sweetest little baby (if we can call him that, as he just turned 11 months old). Actually, he is the sweetest baby, unless he wants something--when he wants something, he wants it now! I guess that has been his personality since birth--no waiting for anything, not even a hospital room. If I am a little slow at feeding him--he definitely lets me know, and just trying to slow this kid down for a diaper change is probably more difficult than wrestling a calf. But, he is just so stinkin' fun. Interactions with him are so rewarding as he is so very generous these days with smiles and giggles, and watching interactions between him and Max is one of my favorite pasttimes. Those two boys love each other so much--it just melts my heart and puts a big smile across my face. Like I said, I think this is my favorite stage of Sam's life so far (although I think I could say that about every stage we go thru).

That said, I cannot forget to mention the incredible stage Max is in right now--the precocious little innocent questions, the use of big, multi-syllable words. That kid has a "why" for everything (drives me nuts sometimes). And sentences--I swear he is a genius. Just ask him why he is so smart and he will tell you he is a genius. He can carry on quite the conversation these days, and will really talk your ear off. He loves to sing now, too, and it is so cute to listen to him. He can count to 18 (except he always skips "2"), and he can pretty much spell his name already (I am sure it helps that it is nice and short). And FINALLY he loves to snuggle. While this might be just a procrastination technique ('cuz the kid is a genius, after all), he wants me to snuggle with him every night at bedtime and even before naps. How can I say no? Every once-in-awhile I can get Sam to fall asleep with us during naptime, and we have one big snuggle session together in Max's bed. Sometimes when I am snuggling with him, waiting for him to fall asleep, my mind drifts to the tower of dishes in the sink, the piles of laundry, or the toilets that could use a scrubbin'. But, then I remind myself that he is not going to want to snuggle with mommy like this for too much longer so I really should just enjoy it. And I do. Oh, how I do!--and suddenly everything seems so trivial. Vacuuming?--it's overrated. Dinner?--what's wrong with leftover's again? It will all still be waiting for me later. But, this--this wonderful moment spent with my precious little boys will not.

A little update on Sam's ear surgery: everything went smoothly. In fact, I was very impressed with the hospital and all of the staff. The day could not have gone better. Paul was able to take the morning off to not only provide assistance in the waiting room but also moral support as my baby was to be ripped from my arms and taken away to a cold, sterile operating room. Or so we thought when we listed that as one of the reasons he should come with me in the first place. Turns out the Versed they gave him right before taking him back really made him loopy. Paul and I were laughing so hard at how drugged he was.
30 seconds before this picture was taken he had been crying and complaining for like 3 minutes straight because the route of administration--nasal--completely pissed him off. But when the sedative finally took effect, he was completely junked-up and dopey, relaxed and chillin' and in-awe of everything. It was hilarious and Paul and I could not stop laughing.


Look at how cute he looks in the little hospital gown.

So, we were laughing as they took him back to the OR, and not even 10 minutes later the surgeon came out to tell us that the procedure was complete, everything went well, and that we could go back and see him shortly. It was amazingly fast. He was a little tired for the rest of the day, but by dinner time he was well enough to chow down on a slice of pizza, and the next day you would have never known that this cute, wonderful little guy just had surgery. Relief. For all of us.


2 comments:

~The J Crew~ said...

AHH, so cute. I miss you guys! Glad all went well with the surgery. Love you and hope to talk to you soon.

Tricia said...

I am always reminded at how much I love motherhood when I read your blog because you are an enthusiastic inspiration. Thank you!