Saturday, June 27, 2009

Apples...and COMPANY!

There are only a handful of things that Max really enjoys eating, and only a small percentage of those are actually healthy. He is definitely stuck in a diet rut. If I would let him, he would happily try to persist on chips, "treats" (which include every sugary thing I use as a bribe to get through the grocery store), goldfish and pretzels, or PIZZA! (his very favorite). He also loves broccoli, avocados, apples, bananas and oranges. But, the kid won't even try any other vegetable or fruit including grapes or berries of any kind. He definitely doesn't have the adventurous palate of his mommy or daddy. I never thought I would raise a picky eater so hopefully this is something he soon outgrows.

I took this picture at one of our playgroup activities. He was getting upset that there were no swings available so I offered the apple as a distraction. He stood on a bench and ate this apple with such gusto that a couple of the other moms commented on how nice it would be to have their little one hold so still and enjoy a healthy snack. Little do they know that this occurrence is very RARE so I was eagerly taking advantage of the 10 minutes he gave me to relax and enjoy.

We had a very exciting week filled with two rounds of visitors! We love having company as it makes us feel a little less alone out here so far from where we were accustomed to calling home. (It's also a great impetus for me to clean the house--and do some baking!) Max loves to help me bake and wants to sit up on the counter and be in the middle of it all. I was perusing a recipe when I looked over and saw Max with his hand in the flour container. He was really enjoying it, but he made quite a mess. Sorry to our guests who may have had a little of Max's slobber mixed in with their cake.

Maggie, Joey and Koa were our first visitors. Max had so much fun with them the last time they were here that we were more than delighted when they decided to come again.

Max really loves his cousin Koa (whom he calls "Ko-ko").

And he also loves his Auntie Joey whose name he can say but often prefers to call her "Mommy"--we think because that's what Koa calls her.

The two boys had a lot of fun playing at the park on the one dry day we had during their stay. The rain did leave a lot of fun behind, though, as Max and Koa really had a blast splashing and jumping in the big puddles.


And both boys just love their Mimi--she is the greatest!

Here is a picture of Max enjoying his new favorite genre of books--romance novels! Maggie slept on an aerobed which quickly became a trampoline for the two boys--they jumped on it every chance they could. Max found this book in her room and would not put it down. I tried to take it from him so he wouldn't rip it, but he seemed fascinated and made himself very comfortable as he settled in to read it.

Our next set of visitors were the Taylors! We are so fortunate that we happened to move so close to Justin's family that they were able to make us a stop on their way to see his parents and sister. We always enjoyed our trips to Park City to hang out with them or theirs to Farmington to see us. We did a lot of fun things together over the (almost) two years that we have known them, and it was just an added bonus that Max and Lucy are only 6 weeks apart (and we are both expecting baby #2's only 10 weeks apart).
Paul and I had a fabulous time with Justin and Alexis, and for the most part I would say Max and Lucy had a good time. However, Max was having a very difficult time sharing his toys and did a lot of screaming and tantrum-throwing. (I think I have raised a little spoiled monster--albeit a very cute and lovable one!)

I found some pics of the two of them having fun over the span of their friendship--which, for them, started at birth.
This picture was taken at the Discovery Gateway Museum in SLC just a month or so before our move...


Sledding in Park City...

At a park in Logan...

Getting ready to go for a hike...


In a little pool at our Farmington house...

Last year on the 4th of July...


This one was taken Thursday night. The two little ones are in their PJs, ready to go to bed so we could leave them with the sitter and enjoy a wonderful grown-up dinner.

The Taylors were delightful guests and we had a great time with them. We hope they will let us know whenever they are headed this direction.

So that is it with visitors for us--there is no one else on the calendar which makes me quite sad. It is always nice to have something to look forward to, so if anyone wants to make a trip our direction we would be more than happy to have you, in fact--we would LOVE it!

1 comment:

SSK said...

Ginger, I love reading your blog. It is so much fun to see Max and how much he is growing up. It looks like you live in a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing all those wonderful things with us. We sent our love to Paul, Max and you.