Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Six Months!

I thought I had better squeeze a blog in before I leave command central (my wonderful, trusty, Mac) for a long visit to UT. Life is about to get a little busier for us in the two weeks before our trip as we are eagerly expecting a string of visitors. Our first guests due to arrive this weekend are Maggie, Joey and Koa. We have been feeling a little bit of withdrawal as this is the longest we have gone without seeing at least one member of Paul's family since we moved to this coast. I am sure Max will be thrilled to have Koa to play with and I know Sam is going to enjoy the extra attention from his Mimi and Auntie. After they leave, I am hosting a playgroup at my house which is always kind of stressful because, even though it makes no sense at all, I always feel like I have to clean, clean, clean beforehand. It really is a ridiculous exertion of energy and neglect (meaning I have to ignore my kids while I clean) because all of the kids who show up to the playgroup are going to just mess it all up anyway. Even though I know this (not only from common sense but also from past experience) and even though my husband will remind me that I know this, I will still be cleaning away before their arrival.
A couple of days after this is Mom and Tia's much anticipated arrival. I am so excited to see them I can hardly wait! They were so gracious to agree to fly out here so that they could help me get back to UT. Since my last trip was over 8 months ago, I have really been anxious to get back home and see everyone but I have been hesitant to do so as a 5 hour plane ride (not to mention getting thru the airport) with two little ones sounds like a distressing form of torture. Thankfully, I won 't have to do it alone: I will have two wonderful and experienced women to help out with the kiddos during the daunting and dreaded travel. Now, I just wish I could find someone to help me pack. I am a notoriously heavy packer, but with the length of our stay and the amount the airlines charge for checked luggage, I am really going to have to lighten the load. It will not be easy.

Six months fly by in the blink of an eye! I can hardly believe it, but it has been half a year since Sam's exciting birth on the floor. I took him in for his check-up yesterday and, aside from the discovery of an ear infection, he is healthy and growing. His weight and length have tapered off a bit and instead of coming in at the 75th percentile this time he is closer to the 50th at 17.11 pounds and 26 inches long. He hasn't been fussy or feverish, though, so his ear infection was a surprise. This is Sam's second one in two months which is a little disconcerting. Max never had an ear infection until after his first birthday. But, he was never really around kids at that age whereas Sammy is exposed to the little germ transmitters on a regular basis with all of the playgroup stuff we do, and he has consequently suffered his share of URI's. At any rate, I will be so happy when this horrible season of sniffles, coughs, and runny, booger-y noses is behind us.
My sweet little angel, sleeping away. Much to my dismay, he has turned in to quite the little cat-napper, catching a 20 minute doze here and maybe a 30 minute nap there. Not easy to get things done with this kind of schedule. However, I have to blame some of it on Max--he always wants to wake his brother and he refuses to be quiet even though I tell him that once Sam is awake mommy and Max's special together time will be over. Instead, he climbs up next to a slumbering Sam, points at him and yells, "Look, Mommy--Sammy 'sleep!" at top volume until little Sammy opens his eyes. Sam doesn't mind--he thinks his big brother is the most interesting thing in the world and would just as soon not miss a minute of the fun.
For some reason Sammy has developed a fondness for the bulb syringe. It's actually a love-hate relationship: as an instrument for snot extraction he detests it, but as a perfectly sized handle for his little fingers to grasp he loves it. He actually complains when I try to pry it from his death-iron grip.
My sweet little boys...they are so delightful!



Max had a rough few days this last weekend--which translates into a nightmarish few days for mommy and daddy. When Max ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. He never gets fevers--but he had a pretty persistent temp of between 100-103 degrees and he was just as moody and volatile as ever. It turns out it was just a viral infection, but we have never seen him act so out of sorts for so many consecutive days.

Poor little guy. I was definitely doing a happy dance when he was finally well again.

Paul and I thought we were being clever the first time we decided to bring snow in the house for Max. Ever since then, Max asks for it on a regular basis. These frequent requests pretty much negate the sole motivation behind the activity: sheer laziness. Yes, laziness. I brought the snow in the house initially because I was too lazy to go through the mayhem of preparation it takes to get two kids outside: I have to bundle up both kids in their bountiful layers of bulk (a 15-20 minute task in itself) and haul them outside for Max to play in the snow for what would inevitably be a short time before he realized it was too cold and he wanted to go back in, then I would have to peel off their layers and wipe their snotty noses while reflecting on the irony of how getting them dressed takes more time then is ever spent outside on these bitterly cold, wintery days. So, I bring the snow inside. However, when I have to clean it up everyday it sort of becomes more like a chore than an easy alternative...
Max loves it, though, so I do it. He tends to get a little carried away with the carrots, though...

And what a nice daddy--he helped Max make his first real snowman outside...


Here is a picture of Sam with his little friends. I now have an official title with my MOMs group: Infant Coordinator. This means I am in charge of organizing a couple of playdates every month. Sam has a grand time cooing and babbling with other bambinos his own size.

Max thinks that taking a bath in Sammy's little blow-up tub is the neatest thing ever. In fact, he deems it such a privilege that I don't remember the last time he took a regular bath. I guess we will save water this way. Aren't my boys just beautiful?!
Precious, sweet little Sam...


and wonderful, deliciously-lovable Max--making silly faces...





Funny, cute pictures of my little gourmand eating freshly pureed zucchini...



I can hardly believe it, but almost a year ago we were preparing to say 'Bon Voyage' to our beloved Farmington house. As I was going thru all of my past blog entries I realized that I never documented this somber occasion. Watching all of our belongings loaded onto a truck to be hauled clear across the country was indeed a melancholy day, but we have a lot of wonderful memories from that address. Even though we only resided there for three years, they were three wonderful years that we often reminisce about with smiles and pleasure.




Here are two pictures I found that were taken almost exactly a year ago. This is at a little park we discovered in Farmington shortly before moving. Based upon all of the snow and mud we have here in PA, it is hard to believe that we were going to parks in March. But, at least that gives a glimmer of hope that spring is on its way...


1 comment:

Jen said...

Look at your cute boys Ging!! They are growing up and are gorgeous!!! Sounds like life is busy and fun for you. :)