After downloading all of the 1,000+ pictures from our spectacular 3 week trip to UT, I figured that in order to not overwhelm you (the reader) or me (the homesick blogger who really should be vacuuming or doing something else besides sit at my computer right now), I will break things up a bit. I don't even know how I will whittle all of those glorious photos down to a modest enough number to post--there are just so many great ones of us doing fun things with family and friends. I guess that is what happens when you combine a great camera that takes phenomenal pictures with phenomenal kids who make great subjects. Just imagine what I could do if I actually had some photographic talent??? One of these days, when life is a little less chaotic, I want to take a photography class. But that is neither here, nor there...
Well, I started to go through pictures since my last post, and I figured that the best place to begin is even before we left for Utah. There wasn't a whole lot that happened, but it seems like it will be a little less daunting for me to get back into "blogging mode" if I tackle something a little lighter than a huge, fun-filled family trip.
Let me begin by stating how incredible it is to think that I have been out here in PA for an entire year. Today. April 14th, 2009 was the day we landed in Philadelphia. I remember that day so clearly, even though at the time I seemed to be living it thru a depressed fog. I don't even know how to describe what it felt like to know that I had left all of my family and friends behind (over 2,000 miles behind) to start a new life and a growing family in this strange place. I don't think I have ever felt more lonely and isolated than I did those first few weeks. I cried myself to sleep every night for months. Sometimes I couldn't even talk to a loved one on the phone because it was too sad--I couldn't fight back the tears enough to hold a conversation.
I have to credit Max with making things better. Not only did he and I have so much fun exploring this new place and all of the parks and fun places it has to offer, but he actually motivated me to make friends. I needed mom friends so he could have friends. It was hard being a naturally shy person in a desperate situation, but I somehow found the courage to come out of my shell--and now, life is pretty good. I am still shy, and life could always be better. But we are doing okay out here. It would be nice if we could just drive a few hours to mom and dad's, or perhaps if Paul's job didn't prevent us from ever seeing him save for about 20 minutes at the end of the day. Maybe one day all of our wishes will come true...
Anyway, I was talking about our friends. We have great friends out here! They are all wonderful, and I basically know all of them in some fashion through playgroups and moms clubs. We are all stay-at-home moms who love to get together so our kids can play--and so we can chat. But, we also like to get together without the kiddos...
This is me with my friends Leslie and Aimee. We went out on a school-night (thank-you, Paul) for oysters and wine! What a great time we had. It is so nice to actually get out without Max and Sam (shocker, right?) because then I can actually focus on an adult conversation which I very rarely get to do. And the unspoken rule is, no talking about kids!
However, even though I have a fabulous time on the few nights I get out without them, I really do miss them and can't wait to give them both big hugs when I return!
These were actually taken before I went out. My wonderfully considerate and amazing husband had them both sound asleep when I got home. Thanks, babe!
I also need to write about the visit from Joey, Koa and Mimi that happened a couple of weeks before we left for UT. For some reason I barely got any photos of their trip (for once my trigger-happy camera finger was on stand-by mode), but Max and Sam had a great time with Koa, and it was so nice for Paul and I to hang out with Joey and Mimi. I did get a couple of cute pics, however, of Koa playing with Sam. He was so cute with him...
After this, we had a couple of days to anticipate our departure. So, I procrastinated packing...
and figured out how to work the timer button on previously mentioned "great" camera for some self-portraits. Now that I have it down, I guess I need to start doing my hair so as to not look like such a "frumpy" mom when my boys look back on the pictures years from now. Hey my sweet boys: I used to do my hair--every day. In fact, I had what your dad would call the "two-hour-get-ready"--meaning it would take at least that long from shower to out the door. Now, I have to do it in 20 minutes. And, I used to get pedicures and manicures and massages and go shopping...and clean my house to a sparkling shine. And now, well... now, I get to play with you two all day! I love you so much that I prefer going to a moonbounce or playground or playing tractors or jumping or digging in the dirt so much more than doing my hair. But, maybe one day it will look good again...but then I will just be wishing that I could put it all up into a ponytail and play with you in the dirt instead.
So, Sam started out really enjoying his adventure into the world of solid foods, but lately we have reached a sort of rut. Now, he really will only eat it if I made it fresh (no yucky jarred stuff for this pampered prince), or if Max feeds him. So, even though he makes a royal mess, I often put Max to work. This actually can be kind of nice because both boys are entertained for at least 5 minutes. Heck, in that amount of time I can throw a salad together!
Cute little chubby Sam...
Finally the day arrived when Mom and Tia flew in to visit for a few days before helping me fly with the boys back to UT. We had so much fun with them and really enjoyed their company. Tia taught Max how to "wash dishes" (a disguised hot water soak for a little infected sore he had on his finger) and he had a blast. The only problem is that even more than a month later he still remembers how much fun he had and he now wants to wash my dishes all the time. This would be great if he weren't so messy and clumsy and I could trust him not to break my dishes or create a flood on the floor. I wish there were some way I could nurture this, though, so he still enjoys washing dishes when he is finally old enough to be a help. HA! I am pretty sure that will never happen.
The one thing we didn't do much of during their visit, though, is sleep. Yup, we were walking around pretty tired every day. But, that didn't keep us from staying up until 3 am every night visiting until one of us would look at the clock, take a double-take, announce the horrifically early hour, and we would all scooch upstairs to squeeze in a little shut eye before doing it all over again. It was a blast, though. I love talking with these two amazing women. And, I feel like we just get closer and closer! Sleep will definitely always take a backseat when I have two of my favorite people in town!
Besides all the visiting, they both helped me out so much. They held and played with Sammy when I had to attend to Max (when I am solo Sam just ends up crying while I put Max down for his nap, so it was nice for him to have some company). They made dinner, did the dishes, cleaned my house, and even packed my suitcases for me (for once my procrastinating came in handy!). We did some shopping, went out for dinner--it was so much fun. I can't wait to do it again! And, wouldn't you know it--it rained and rained and rained the entire time they were here. I swear this place must get more rain than Seattle.
Here are some pics of us at dinner. My good friend Sara and her husband Eric were able to join us. And, we got a sitter for the boys--so it was a dinner we could actually enjoy. That is not to say that we do not enjoy dinner with Max and Sam in tow, but... well... actually... we don't enjoy dinner out when they are with us--not even kind of. The only thing we typically get from eating dinner out with those two little munchkins is indigestion. Love them both to pieces, but there is nothing I enjoy about ordering the first thing I see on the menu, shoving it in my mouth so fast I can barely taste it, and then having the server bring our check the second she brings our entrees out. All this while trying to keep Max in his seat and preventing Sam from flinging things off the table. But, we got a sitter and left the little rug-rats home this time and had such a fantastic time and a yummy dinner.
In the end, there was absolutely no way I could have flown without them. In fact, I'm pretty sure I needed both of them--you should have seen Paul and I struggle on the way home; traveling went much smoother with an extra set of hands. But, even if I think I can ever manage on my own (which will take some sort of miracle--I really don't know how people do it with two little kids), I hope Mom and Tia will still come and visit us all the time. We miss you both! Thank you , Thank you, Thank you! (And a big thanks to Dad, Jake and Tio--I know you missed having them around, too: they make life a little easier...)!!
2 comments:
Ah, I miss you guys so much. Wish we all could have stayed longer. Even though the visit was short, it was well worth it! I hear your plans may have changed from September to July, let me know! I love your boys and miss them like crazy!
It looks like you had a great time.
Post a Comment