Thursday, June 20, 2013

A Marvelous May

We are leaving for our much anticipated mega trip to UT in less than a week and I am starting to feel a little overwhelmed by all that I need to get done before we go.  One of the tasks that always creeps onto my "to-do" list before we go and sort of plaques my general well-being with feelings of anxiety is getting caught up on my blog.  As we have added kids to the B-Hive and as they each grow a little older, I find the time I have to devote to this hobby is diminishing rapidly.  However, keeping these little events recorded is something that I know we will cherish years and years and years from now so it is important for me to squeeze in any time I can to document all of these wonderful memories.  (Typically, that time is around midnight when all my little bees are sound asleep.)  So, since hundreds of photos will be taken in Utah and many memories made, I definitely want to be caught up before we go!

May is my favorite month!  Spring is in full bloom, the days are getting nice and long,  and we get to play outside and it isn't too hot...

However, this year we had a very rainy May so a lot of our play was inside... 



But Jack LOVES to be outside.  I usually always take them out after his nap.  He knows this routine, and now when he wakes up in the afternoon he will say, "C'mon!  'Side!"  He is talking so much.  It is hard to believe this was my tiny little baby only a year and a half ago.  My Utah family is going to be shocked...


When it wasn't raining we enjoyed dining on the deck.  The boys really like this, especially Jack who will take his plate off the counter and march for the door and again say "C'mon, 'Side!"  I particularly like that there isn't a huge mess to clean up off the floors when we dine al fresco--my little B's are all really messy...





]

The view of our yard from the deck.  It would be beautiful if it weren't for that ugly shed...

These are the apple trees down by our garden.  They are so pretty for maybe two weeks out of the year, but otherwise they just seem so random and nondescript...


There is an old kick-start gas-powered baja motorcycle that our neighbors gave us sitting down by our garden.  Paul has been trying to find the time to get it working for the boys but time is a very precious commodity at our house, especially for Paul.  He is always busy!  But, the boys are constantly bugging him about it and they love to sit on it whenever we are down there, especially Jack...

 In spite of all the rain, we managed to get a lot of outside time in during this beautiful, mild month.  My big boys have been into "fighting" and "ninja-ing" with each other lately  It starts out as a fun game happily played by both, but I usually have to put a stop to it before it gets too rough.  Especially when they start wielding giant sticks at each other...
I guess boys will be boys...

Backyard fun...





Driveway fun...







Max and Sam are really into climbing trees right now.  They are little monkeys.  Sam still needs help, but Max amazes me how well he can climb...




Of course there were many, many superhero sightings at the B-Hive during the month of May...

This is one of the boys favorite things to do.  What an awesome dad!  He pulls them all around the yard on a big tarp behind the lawnmower.  They love it! (But they get super dirty...)


So we have to give them a bath.  Their little tub is quite crowded these days with all three of them.  But they love to bathe together.  If we start bathing one, typically the other two rush right up, get naked, and climb right in.  It is definitely not easy to clean them in such a cramped space and it is quite frankly my least favorite parenting task.  My sweet husband usually steps up and takes command of this messy and cumbersome chore, which leads me to mention the worst part about going to UT for so long without him--I have to give them ALL the baths...

May was a really fun month at preschool as well.  Max took an enrichment class two times a month called "Learning and Fun" and in May they put on a little circus.  Max played the part of "Stilt Walker" and "Snake Charmer."  He did an awesome job at walking on the stilts--I was so amazed!  Then, he played a recorder to "charm" a snake out of the basket.  It was so cute!


Max also had "Cowboy Day" and he got to dress up in his spiffy new cowboy boots, a handsome button down shirt (yes I said button, he doesn't have any that snap...), and his awesome cowboy hat inherited from Cousin Brooks.  He looked sharp!

Both Sam and Max's class put on a cute little program for me for Mother's Day.  They sang a few songs and gave us a little gift.  It was heartwarming...

Sam was a little shy and stood in the back for most of it.  I remember Max was the same way at this age...

Paul and I had a really fun date learning to make sushi from Chef Joseph Poon in Philadelphia's China Town.  Chef Poon was a riot and so friendly (and apparently is somewhat of a celebrity--he's been a gust on Jay Leno and Ellen, is frequently featured on local news, and has appeared on The Food Network several times), he had us all laughing as we were learning to correctly press the rice onto the nori, fill with goodness, and roll with the bamboo. 


Max celebrated his "Half-Birthday" in May.  On May 8, he just so happened to ask me when he would be 5 1/2.  I looked at the date and replied, "Tomorrow!"  Well, to him that meant PARTY!!  The next day he woke up insisting he get a cake and everyone needed to be extra nice to him on his "special" day.  Well, we sort of played along and I made brownies and gave him a little candle.  We drew the line at presents, though...

I enjoyed a fun girls' outing over Mother's Day/My Birthday weekend.  My best friend Sara and I stayed at the Hotel Warner in downtown West Chester.  We spent the afternoon on Saturday getting pedis and manis and shopping.  Then, we had a fabulous dinner at one of my favorite local restaurants, Limoncello.  After that, we headed out for some dancing!!  
Our friend Christine met up with us for the dancing part...


It finally warmed up enough for us to swim in our backyard...



Paul displayed his amazing lumberjack skills again by cutting down this big, awful tree that was scrunched right up next to the house, right in front of our bedroom window.  Having it gone is a huge improvement (especially after Paul pressure-washed all the green slime off the house where the tree was), and the boys really enjoyed the show...


We went on another fun bike-riding adventure on our favorite trail  This time Sam was riding his 16-inch two-wheeler and keeping up with everyone.  We had a lot of fun...



We even did some off-road adventuring...


Sammy's cotton-candy ice-cream mustache coordinates perfectly with his shirt...

Sam figured out how to take pictures on my phone, and along with several random pictures of the front door and the stools, he managed to take a few rather clear ones.  




This picture cracks me up.  We went to the Y this day and Max decided that they should all wear their batman shirts and capes.  They looked super cute and no bad guys dared make any mischief on Airport Road with them around.  They got lots of comments and attention as well...

So those are the highlights of May.  I have four more days before we leave and I haven't even started packing.  But, hopefully I can get that done on top of one more blog post for the month of June...



No comments: